Sunday, September 27, 2009

I am insane.

Whoops, I guess I forgot about this blog thing that I promised, in a moment of weakness, to keep up to date. But, since I am trying to build a cult following, I shall continue writing for my adoring fans. Why yes, delusion does runs in the family. Why else would I want to start a cult? (See my first post for an explanation.)

Hmm, what to write about? Well, since I started this webpage to keep you all informed on the train wreck—i.e. me trying to get published, (I know it’s hard to divert the eyes), I’ll write about why I started this insanity—i.e. writing a novel. In fact, if you would’ve asked me if I wanted to write a book, up until a few weeks before I started writing Marysvale, I would’ve replied, “I’d rather slide down razor blades into a pool of lemon juice.” (Note: Netflix subscription form excluded.) I think my high school English teachers would have had the same response to reading a book written by me. So how did it happen? Well, I had this strange dream, probably caused by eating a Polish hotdog that didn’t sit quite right. Once that worked its way out of my system, I had a less bizarre dream that was very, very emotional and real. It was the kind of dream that keeps you up after having it and makes you think about it throughout the next day. I thought it would make an excellent book and mulled over the idea of writing it someday. Thus, my aversion to writing began slipping away. Someday turned out to be only a few days away, when I had another emotional dream. I thought this one was very unique, and I started to write it down. It consumed almost all my free time. I wrote on the bus, in the car, at the park, waiting for my wife in the store, camping, I even used vacation time. Many a great TV shows went un-watched. Ten months later, Marysvale was born. Since then, I’ve had all kinds of ideas for books. B’lue won’t let me write any of them until I finish the sequel to Marysvale, which is about a quarter of the way done. Marysvale, by the way, is a real town; and no, I haven’t been there. I hear the mountains there are beautiful; and since it is fall time, I think I’ll go check it out shortly. Though, when I wrote Marysvale, I set it in more of a New England setting than a high mountain one. And yes, I have been to New England.

No comments:

Which query is the best?